Saturday, March 26, 2011

Take a lead from your horse

I have been working a lot with Rio this past week. For one, I am out there anyway and have lots of time to do it, and for two, I am getting ready for the Rother Clinic coming up at the end of April. In training, retraining, or even just working with a horse coming off of winter, the thing you look for is the "try". Rio is out of shape, completely unbalanced and an older horse with a pre existing injury to boot and because the pastures are saturated, he is stalled (with a paddock) 24/7. He has a few things working against him so I have to be careful to plan his work according to his ability. What I can demand from him is "try". He does. Even when things are not comfortable for him, hard to do, or even new and scary things happen, he tries for me. My horse has courage. I think we all need to take a few lessons from animals like Rio. If you don't try, you will never get it....so just try. In everything you do, try. Do your best for that given moment on that day. Rio never gives up and stops trying, even when I am not leading very well....he still tries......we should all do that and I think we would get a lot more accomplished. I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment